It happens to all of us once in awhile, you finish work or errands, get home and look at the clock with dread.
Never fear, Engine 2 is here!
In these situations it can be tempting to just order takeout or head to a restaurant but don’t succumb to the temptation. Not only will it likely take you off course and fill you up with unhealthy food (making you feel worse after your meal!), it can cause your food and grocery bill to climb higher than a kite.
Instead of giving into temptation, try these plant-strong tips:
- Try something new. Go bold and try a completely new meal. Even if it’s not your new favorite, you’ll most definitely be spicing things up! If you typically like American-style comfort food, maybe try something with some Indian or Mexican spices. Need some inspiration? Try our blog, or head over to the E2 Meal Planner, where we have HUNDREDS of recipes from a variety of cuisines to tempt your palate and truly help you try something new.
- Go back to an old favorite. Sometimes when in doubt, your best bet is to go back to one of your favorite recipes. You know you can’t go wrong with a family favorite!
- Look in your cupboard. When you freeze up for dinner ideas, sometimes the best place to look is your cupboard or freezer! If you have a bunch of cans of garbanzo beans lying around, maybe a nice falafel is in order. Or if you’re loaded up on kidney beans, it might be time to spice it up and try some chili. Bonus: You’ll clear out the cupboards a bit so you can re-stock with some new inspiration!
- Keep it simple. When in doubt, keep it simple. We use a super simple formula for building plant-strong meals over in our Engine 2 Seven-Day Rescue Challenge Facebook group, but here it is in a nutshell: start with a huge pile of greens, lay your foundation of a hearty, plant-strong grain, toss in some beans (whatever you have on hand) and load it up with whatever veggies you have on hand (fresh or frozen – it doesn’t matter!), top it off with some spark. Your spark could be BBQ sauce, hot sauce, salsa, avocado…use your imagination (and whatever’s in your fridge!). If you’re using canned beans and have some frozen grains, here’s another bonus: Dinner will come together in about 10 minutes or less!
- Head to the store for inspiration. If you’ve got some time on your hands, head over to the store for a little inspiration. Many grocery stores have excellent salad bars, and you could either take a special trip out for a plant-strong meal by loading up at the salad bar, or you could use what you find there as inspiration to build your own salads at home. You can also peruse the aisles (and especially the produce section!) to look for what’s new or on sale. If you’re at a US Whole Foods Market location, you can even pick up some Engine 2 Plant-Strong food products to serve as you meal foundation. (Search for the hashtag #E2FoodHacks on Facebook or Twitter for some fun, unique ideas to use our E2 food line products in new and exciting meals!).
Now you’re armed and ready with motivation and tools to combat those “who knows what to make” days – you’ve got this!