16 Jul The Great Salad Challenge
We decided that it was a great week to have a salad challenge! Here are some guidelines and tips:
2. No animals or animal products (including dairy, eggs, fish)
3. No oil! Why no oil? http://engine2diet.com/the-daily-beet/the-big-oil-post-plus-a-giveaway/
4. Follow our label reading rules when it comes to things like dressings. 1mg of sodium to 1 calorie and keep the fat under 20% so if it has 100 calories per serving, only 20 calories should be from fat.
5. Make the salad huge! Throw everything you love into your salad. Vegetables of course, but get creative, think outside the bowl! Grains, potatoes, sweet potatoes, beans, fruit, you name it, it can go in a salad.
6. Find a dressing you love. Some people love a little lemon juice and they are good to go. Others love salsa or flavored vinegar. For some great salad dressings check out:
Healthy Girl’s Kitchen list of no oil dressings
7. Use spices! Spices are not just for hot meals, use salt-free spice on your salad, go wild, make a curry flavored salad or a cajun salad.
8. Join the fun on Facebook and be sure to like us on Facebook so you can upload your salad photos.
9. Invite friends and family to join the fun. This is a really non threatening way to introduce your crazy plant-strong ways to friends who might think it’s a little weird, or might be intimidated. Post it on your Facebook wall, see if a group of friends want to join in together.
10. Have FUN!
*Austinites! This week is the week of Counter Culture giveaways! We have 20 gift certificates to giveaway! Each day we will give you clues and trivia on how to win and what to do.
Today’s trivia question: What colors does Counter Culture use? To answer, you have to tweet us @engine2diet first 3 people to tweet the right answer gets a gift certificate!
Edit: Congrats to our first three winners!