Saving Time with Char
Flavored Water…The New Beverage
They say that “time is money.” On a recent trip to the grocery store, I was intrigued with the vast collection of fruit and herb infused waters. The beauty of the labels will alone draw you to the shelf, and once you learn that you can drink water infused with lavender, the bottle is in your cart. In fact, more than one bottle will be in your cart. And, at the price of $1.49 for a 16 ounce bottle, well, this is where the time and money thing come together.
If you have about fifteen minutes, you can create some amazing waters that will last you for a week. Aside from saving loads of time, you will save loads of money. Plus, it is really fun to create fun and new beverages that are a reflection of things that you like! No sugar, no preservatives, all natural, in the best of ways.
Let’s define the art of infused water making into two categories. Supplies and Ttechnique. And, really, it is easy and fun! I have to admit that I have become very attached to Ball® jars, and have quite a collection. They are perfect for using when you infuse waters.
- Six, 16 ounce glass jars. If you use bottled pasta sauce, these leftover jars are fabulous for your infused waters. I also love using Ball® jars, but more about that later.
- A “muddler,” is used to crush fruits and herbs. When you “muddle,” you allow the flavors to integrate with the water and you get amazing flavors, and quickly.
- If you are using herbs (spearmint leaves, basil, romsemary, etc.,), I like to snip them into smaller pieces.
- Your favorite fruits and herbs. If you are using the skin, I would suggest using organic product. Same for the herbs
- Buy a gallon of spring water, or if you have a water filter system, that is fine, too.
I like to use lime, lemon, oranges, grapefruit, carrots, cucumbers, basil, rosemary, lavender, assorted berries, oh, and I cannot forget, GINGER. I love ginger.
- Sort your fruits, veggies and herbs. Rinse as needed. Decide how you’d like to begin. As a beginner, you might want to start simply, and just go with something basic like cucumbers and mint.
- Add a given amount of fruit or herb to the bottom of your jar. With the muddler, gently press and grind the fruit…break them up, not mash them. For starters, you might want to begin with crushed berries and a citrus fruit.
- Cover to the top with ice cubes. Then, add water, ¾ of the way. Cover and place in the fridge.
- I prefer to label the tops of each jar.
- Another favorite is a mélange of lime, orange and grapefruit. Just hits the spot. Oh, and grapefruit and rosemary is another favorite, the best you will drink!
- You can drink from the jar, or transfer to a glass. Up to you!
Some people like to strain their waters, but I enjoy and love the color and fruit remnants. When I am finished, I grab a spoon and eat the fruit. I also LOVE the colors that are created. Nature’s colors pack a punch of vitamins for you!
Here’s the best part about making your own infused waters:
-When you buy ready-made water, six bottles will cost almost $9.00.
-Make your own? Pennies to the dollar.
-Your carbon footprint is greatly reduced, as you are recycling jars and NOT buying plastic ones.
-Having a party? Let your guests make their own mixtures. Create a “fruit and herb” bar and tap into your inner mixologist!
How I Like my Waters:
A few weeks ago I stumbled upon a product called the CUPPOW®. They are made in Massachusetts, and what they are you ask? A special adapter top for a Ball® jar. When you apply the Cuppow® top, it makes your jar into an adult “sippy” cup. I love them and use them all the time. Great grab and go for the car. Great to take to work. They make the perfect travel container, and really, you are being a great environmental steward by using Cuppow® and your old Ball® jars.
For more info about the Cuppow®, go to www.Cuppow.com to place an order. They are amazing people. And, I cannot stop ordering the Cuppow® because I am drinking lots of infused waters that are packed with flavor and vitamins!
NOTE: CUPPOW® HAS MADE A SPECIAL PROMO JUST FOR E2 readers! Order any amount of Cuppow®, use the code ENGINE2DIET, and you will receive a 10% discount on your order! ALL ORDERS MUST BE PLACED BEFORE MIDNIGHT , Friday, May 10.
You’ll be saving loads of time. Let me hear from you. Do you have a favorite infused water that you like?
These are my NEW Cuppow® in my new Ball® jars. I make lots of delicious infused waters in them.
To celebrate the upcoming release of “My Beef With Meat” we are doing a giveaway everyday this week! Today we are giving away a “Cuppow”!
Leave a comment and tell us why you’d love one!