18 Sep Saving Time with Char: Breakfast Month!
Nibble.com will list every food holiday imaginable. Some are very attractive titles and totally plant strong, and many other titles look like celebrations for the SAD. Some of the titles actually make me laugh.
September is Breakfast Month. Really. You might ask yourself, “What do Breakfast Month and Engine 2 have in common?” Well, quite easily, I think Breakfast Month was made for the new line of Engine 2 foods! Especially the grains, cereals, and crackers. They go hand in hand.
Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. If you follow me on Instagram, you know that I am starting an Oatmeal Revolution and have been hashtagging my breakfast as “#30oatmeal.” There are more than 100 posts of lovely looking oatmeal from all over the globe. But in reality, life is more than a bowl of oatmeal.
Come with me as I share some of my quick and easy E2 breakfast ideas:
-Rip’s Big Bowl
- Big Bowl Mighty Muffin: If you love the Mighty Muffin, this is the granddaddy of them all. Where your recipe calls for oats or oat bran, substitute the grain with the Big Bowl. Let the grains become absorbed by the liquid and bananas. The Rip’s Mighty Muffin, is a favorite, and a real game changer. It is a sturdier muffin, dense and delicious.
- Hot Cereal: Pour yourself a bowl, and cover with heated milk, I am a fan of Rip’s almond milk. Adds a new dimension in flavor, and creates a nice “hot” cereal for you. And, as Rip does, add some diced, fresh grapefruit to the mix. You’ll be surprised with the great flavor.
- Fresh Fruit Topping:Mix a cup of fresh fruit with a cup of Rip’s Big Bowl, and you have a nice change in flavor and texture. Don’t need any milk. Nice and crunchy.
- Ice Cream Topping: If you make frozen fruit “ice cream,” a few tablespoons of Rip’s Big Bowl adds the perfect contrast in texture and yumminess.
-Brown Rice Tortillas (and the rest)
- Fresh Fruit Burrito: I like to heat the tortilla in a pan for 15 seconds on each side. Fill the center with freshly diced fruit, then fold to create a fruit “burrito.” Always good.
- Migas Especiales…a favorite from the E2 cookbook. Fill your burrito, and let it roll. These are great for eating in the run. I like the nutty flavor of the brown rice tortillas.
- Banana Roll: This is another fun grab and go breakfast. Heat the tortilla, lightly “schmear” with your favorite nut butter (unsweetened, of course, and no added oil!), stick a banana in it, and roll the tortilla. This is easy to pack and eat anywhere! This is a favorite with children.
-Morning Blend Grain
- Overnight Pudding: Take a cup of defrosted grains. Add a few raisins and some cinnamon. Put in a container. Cover with your favorite milk (Engine 2 Almond, yum!). And place in the refrigerator overnight. Tastes like a rich, rice pudding. Make several. Good for breakfast, or anytime of the day!
- Crockpot Pudding: This is a favorite. Take a bag of the Morning Blend Grains, add about a cup of milk, a cup of your favorite fruit, and apple pie spices. Mix together. Place on low and cook for four hours. You’ll have a nice cereal, pudding, or dessert! I like it best with sliced apples, because it tastes like an apple pie.
- Breakfast Cookie: Take two cups of grains. Add three very ripe mashed bananas, ½ cup of applesauce, cinnamon to taste, and ½ cup of almond milk. Mix well together. Add a small handful of raisins. Scoop onto parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake at 400 degrees between 12-20 minutes. THESE ARE GOOD! And perfect for those of us who are on the run!
Here’s the deal. Every promo piece about BREAKFAST MONTH features standard breakfast fare. So, let your friends know that at Engine 2 we are raising the breakfast bar just a tad with healthy and delicious ideas These are not alternative recipes, but the way we should all be cooking and eating.
Let me know how you think outside the breakfast box. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day , still. I think that Engine 2 foods add a new and brighter perspective.
Happy Breakfast Month from everyone at Engine 2!