27 Nov Plant-Strong Thanksgiving Number 5
This is my fifth Thanksgiving living a plant-strong life. I’ll be honest, in the beginning, I was a little jealous of those around me, because I was remembering what I thought was the great flavor of the turkey. That year, I even cooked the turkey. Press that fast-forward button, and I have become distant with the turkey, don’t cook it, can’t stand it. Don’t even buy it!
I spend days and days searching for great vegetable recipes and take pride in the delicious plant-strong dishes I make. The evolution in my house is this…all of the sides are totally plant-strong, from gravy to pumpkin pie. My husband makes a turkey, but I cannot even be in the kitchen. But the plant-strong side of the table is growing, and strong. That first Thanksgiving, I made doubles of everything. Then, I realized that I wasn’t doing anything for my family. It’s kind of a nice progression, when you think about it. It is progress. Not perfection.
A few things to honor the plant-strong side of the table…
• Make a Gratitude Tree. Make that the centerpiece. Here’s a great link in case you need some ideas. Everyone will love making this.
• Make sure you drink enough water on the Big Veggie Day.
• Start your day off with a “Turkey Trot” 5K. Not ready for a 5K? Do a “fun run.” You’ll get the same t-shirt. This might be a new tradition to begin. Plus, you’ll feel great.
• Count your blessings. No matter how many curve balls I’ve been thrown this year, always seems to be a positive outcome from the struggle.
As I count my blessings…
• For my family. I’ve been married for 31 years. The time for everything is always “now.” Being plant-strong reminds me to show my appreciation to them.
• For being able to do what I love. I have several gigs that I love. The fabric of what I do reflects my inner most values as a person, and for this, I am extremely grateful.
• For my friends. They are an eclectic group. And even those who make fun of me being plant- strong, I still love them to the moon and back.
• And, I appreciate having excellent health. That is the gift of being plant-strong, for me.
So, no matter what you do, have fun, commune with others. Enjoy delicious plant-strong food. And,
plug in the Crockpot® to keep things warm!