Many people that travel regularly who want to create a new, healthier, Plant Strong lifestyle say that it is impossible to do so on the road. We contend that eating Plant Perfect while traveling isn’t always feasible — but staying Plant Strong is 100% do-able.
Rip travels approximately ten days out of every month to connect with people in communities around the country. He knows from experience that the reason why people tend to slip while traveling is because they are frequently in a position of not having food choice options and when hungry, they take what they can get.
Here’s his tips for staying fabulously Plant Strong — no matter where you are. You can remember these with the acronym F.A.B.:
- Figure out what you can eat. Look at menus when you’re out to eat and find the vegetarian item or request to combine side dishes. Even if you’re at a BBQ joint, you can order baked beans, cole slaw, green beans and — at some places — whole wheat rolls.
- Ask for what you want. Don’t be afraid to do this at restaurants. Your health is your best asset in this life!! Ask your waiter or waitress if a dish can be prepared with veggie broth instead of oil and if they have whole grain options.
- Bring your own food. Rip is always diligent about packing a solid amount of food to take with him whenever he travels so that he has options on the plane or afterward when renting a car, driving to his next destination, etc. He will pack veggie sandwiches on whole grain bread, fruit, clean energy bars whole grain crackers, and low-sodium pretzels.
More Tips on Eating Out
- Check out happycow.net. You can enter your location and it will give you a list of all the vegan or vegetarian friendly restaurants within a 10 mile radius.
- Asian restaurants. Almost always a sure bet for being able to order brown rice, steamed veggies and tofu.
- Out in the boonies? Believe it or not, you can even find something healthy at a Starbucks or McDonald’s along the highway. Both offer oatmeal now — dairy free. And McDonald’s oatmeal comes with Granny Smith apples.
Plant Strong Anywhere!