1. True or False: One egg yolk has about the same amount of cholesterol as a Big Mac
2. What is Jeff Novick’s number one rule for label reading?
3. In The China Study by T.Colin Campbell, what is the name of the dairy protein that promoted the growth of cancer cells?
4. Cheese is ___% fat
5. 1 in ___ children born today will become diabetic
6. How many olives does it take to make a single liter of oil?
7. What does it mean to go SOS-free?
8. Autopsies of young American soldiers from the Korean and Vietnam wars showed that ___% already had plaque deposits greater than 50% the width of their coronary arteries
9. True or false- plant proteins are complete proteins
10. Name one plant-based source of calcium
11. What is an alternative to fish oil for your omega 3’s?
12. What is the magic cholesterol level that Dr. Esselstyn says we should strive for, below which you are “heart attack proof”?
13. The average American consumes how many milligrams of sodium in one day?
14. What is the term for protein deficiency?
15. Name one nutrient that ONLY plants can provide
**Extra credit** What did Tara, Jenna, and Craig dress up as for their New Year’s Eve race in Central Park?
1. False- A single egg yolk has MORE THAN DOUBLE the amount of cholesterol in a Big Mac
2. “Never ever believe anything on the front of any package, EVER!”
6. 1375 olives
7. Cooking without sugar, oil, or salt (try it!)
9. True! Plants supply all the essential and non-essential amino acids. There is no need to combine certain plant proteins in each meal in order to achieve the right amino acid balance; by eating a colorful variety of plant-based foods everyday, our brilliant bodies do this for us!
10. The list is extensive, but here’s some examples: Leafy greens, nuts, oranges, kidney beans, lima beans, whole grains, swiss chard, lentils, raisins, broccoli, kale, celery, tofu, and romaine lettuce
11. Possible answers include: flaxseed meal, chia seeds, walnuts, soybeans, and leafy green vegetables
13. 4,000 (the RDA is between 1200 and 1500 mg)
14. Kwashkiorkor (Don’t worry, you don’t need to know this term. There’s no way to be protein deficient unless you’re calorie deficient. It’s not something you should ever have to worry about as long as you’re not depriving yourself.)
15. Either antioxidants or fiber are correct answers. Every single nutrient that animal-based foods provide, plant-based foods can BETTER provide. (Except cholesterol– good ole animals are the only sources of that one! Our body makes what it needs, so there’s no reason to get any more from the food we eat.)
Extra Credit: Tara- pea pod, Jenna- carrot, Craig- banana
We had a lot of people enter! But sadly, only one can win. We picked someone at random, and that person is:
Rachel Greenberg Haymond ! Congratulations!
Rachel please send Natala an e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org