21 Dec 10 Plant-Strong Holiday Tips
For many, this next week means a lot of stress. Traveling, finances, eating, parties, relatives, keeping the house clean, the kids being home. Whatever it is that tends to stress you out we’ve got a few tips for keeping calm through the holidays.
1. Sleep! Make sure you are getting plenty of shut-eye. Especially if you have young kids who want to wake you up at 4AM on Christmas morning 🙂 Make it a goal to get to bed at a reasonable time every night.
2. Workout. Make time to move your body. We don’t care if it’s 5 minutes or one hour, just move. Get to the gym, get outside, find an indoor pool. Just get moving. This is also a great way to escape from any family that you might feel the need to escape from.
3. Eat right. We know that it’s very hard to stay plant-strong during the holidays. So we want to encourage you to do your best. Make sure that most of your meals are plant-strong. Be sure to eat TONS of greens with your meals. Start off each meal with a huge soup or salad so that it is less tempting to over eat.
4. Drink water. Skip the drinks with calories and stick to water. You can also drink sparkly water or herbal tea. Make sure you are not getting in excess calories from drinking them.
5. Don’t wait till January 1st. The temptation is to say “I’ll eat whatever I want and then start on January 1st!” Skip that this year. Start now.
6. Bring a great dish. We have a bunch of holiday recipes on our Pinterest board for you to check out! Bring a dish to your holiday gatherings!
7. Sign on to E2X every day! If you a member of Engine 2 Extra, remember to sign in every day to get support! You can even use your smart phone to access it. If you are not a member, sign up before the end of the year for the best price we will offer it – comes to about .25 cents per day. We even have a special text number that you can use when you need have a 911 plant-strong emergency!
8. Have fun! Make the holidays about fun, family and friends. Go out for a sleigh ride, have a snowball fight, play football in the front yard, make holiday crafts together. Cherish these moments that you have with your loved ones.
9. Go shopping later at night. The next few days are crazy for retailers. You can ease some of that stress for you by shopping later in the evening. Many stores have extended hours, and usually things are a lot slower the later it gets. Have a plan and a list, so the stress is even less.
10. Practice 1 minute meditation. Find some time for yourself, even if it is just one minute. Breathe deeply, focus on the positive things that are going on in your life.
We wish all of you safe travels this weekend!