Using our Engine 2 Ancient Grains tortillas, these quesadillas pack a nutritional punch, bursting with flavor!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 60 minutes
Total Time 70 minutes
Black Bean and Sweet Potato Quesadillas
Makes 4 large quesadillas
1 large sweet potato
1 cup brown rice, cooked
8 ounces vegetarian, no added oil, re-fried beans
1 cup of salsa
1 cup fresh spinach
8 ounces black beans, drained and rinsed
¼ teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon chili powder
¼ teaspoon cumin
1 jalapeño pepper, diced (optional and HOT)
6-8 Engine 2 Ancient Grain Tortillas
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF
2. Prepare a sheet pan with parchment paper
3. An hour before you plan to eat, peel and quarter the sweet potatoes
4. Bake sweet potatoes in the oven for 45 minutes to one hour, until soft
5. In the meantime, prepare rice in a rice cooker or on stove top as directed
6. Remove sweet potatoes from oven and toss into a mixing bowl
7. Mash sweet potatoes with the salsa, rice and fresh spinach
8. Place sweet potato mash in a sauce pan and mix in black beans and refried beans, heating mixture thoroughly over medium heat
9. Add onion powder, chili powder and cumin to taste and stir
10. Place a tortilla in a frying pan on medium heat, and slather the side facing up with sweet potato and bean mixture
11. Add jalapeños if desired
12. Place another whole wheat tortilla on top
13. Press down on top tortilla with spatula with pan on medium heat for about 3 minutes
14. Flip with spatula and cook for another three minutes
15. Voila! Cut into desired number of sections
16. Serve topped with salsa
Tip: Also try this with black-eyed peas instead of the black beans or any other favorite beans.
Plant Strong Tips
E2 Approved Foods
Categorized list of brands and products that feature whole grains, natural sweeteners, and no added oils.
Foods to clear from your pantry and useful supplies to help transform the way you eat forever.
Kitchen Must-Haves featuring meat, veggie and milk alternatives to create filling, plant-strong meals.
Recipe Ingredient Tags
Browse by ingredient, when you click on any ingredient listed below