This is the most basic – and versatile – of the spreads. You can find a variation of this recipe in almost any grocery store, but 95% of them are made with either olive oil or tahini/sesame paste, which pushes up the fat content (unless you purchase Engine 2 Hummus at Whole Foods Market locations across the US). Your best bet is to take three minutes and make a batch on Sunday that will last you for the week.
You’ll find this recipe, along with more of your favorite Engine 2 recipes and many more new recipes (for the standard Engine 2 diet as well as the Engine 2 Seven-Day Rescue Diet) in the E2 Meal Planner. With access to hundreds of customizable recipes (Cooking for one? Great! Need some leftovers? We’ve got you covered too!), printable grocery list and grocery delivery in select markets, you’ll wonder how you ever planned meals without it – and all for less than $2 a week!
- 2 cans low sodium or no salt added chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 cloves garlic
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons Bragg’s Liquid Aminos
- ¼ cup water or low sodium vegetable broth
Blend all ingredients into a thick paste.
Customize by adding one or more of the following:
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1 fresh jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- 1 roasted and chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup dark or Kalamata olives
- 1 bunch fresh mint
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1 cup cooked eggplant
Servings: 1 to 5